What are some fire safety tips when staying at a property?
Follow these tips to stay safe when cooking:
- Use a timer
- Check that the oven is empty before preheating
- Stay in the kitchen when frying, grilling, and broiling food
- Keep oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, and curtains away from the stovetop
- Check for specific instructions on how to use the grill, or ask the property owner or manager if you have any questions
- Remove buildup
- Never leave grill unattended
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away
- If using a gas grill, make sure the gas grill lid is open before lighting
- If using a charcoal grill, use only charcoal starter fluid. Never add any other flammable liquids to the fire
- When finished grilling, let coals cool completely before disposing of them in a metal container
Be sure to review the property’s House Rules for more information on fire safety. Remember to also check local emergency phone numbers prior to traveling. If you are ever concerned for your safety or have an emergency, you should immediately leave the property and call 9-1-1.