Yes, and here’s why: Most vacation rental owners carry either homeowners or landlord insurance policy, both of which have significant coverage gaps. Homeowners insurance is designed for an owner-occupied property, while a landlord policy is designed to be tenant-occupied. Vacation rentals typically have triple use throughout the year, mostly being occupied by paying rental guests, but at times enjoyed by the owner, and at times possibly unoccupied. You need a vacation rental insurance policy that can cover all three occupancies.

Does Vrbo provide or recommend any insurance products for my rentals?
Proper Insurance is Vrbo's preferred vendor for comprehensive vacation rental insurance in the U.S. The Proper Insurance® policy was designed in parallel with Lloyd’s of London to address the unique exposure of vacation rentals. It provides comprehensive insurance for your building(s), contents, income, and liability. It entirely replaces a homeowners or landlord policy. It’s offered in all 50 states and Proper’s expert underwriters are here to help. Visit for more information. 

vacation rental insurance
vacation rental insurance

My agent told me I have a rental rider on my homeowners policy and I’m covered?
Some insurance carriers will offer a rider that allows for “occasional” rentals and offer limited property and liability coverage. The problem is limited coverage, and most vacation rental properties have guests “regularly” not “occasionally”, so virtually any claim could be denied and is subject to carrier interpretation. If you regularly rent your vacation property, then you need business insurance.

If my agent tells me I’m covered, am I covered for short-term rental activity?
Insurance is a contract that you pay a premium for, and in that contract, it will clearly state what’s covered and what’s not covered. Just because an agent tells you there is coverage, doesn’t mean he or she is correct. You need to see where this coverage exists in the actual language of the contract. We advise that you get the below question answered in writing: "If I regularly entrust my property/home to a paying vacation rental guest for a period of fewer than 30 days, and that guest damages, steals or is injured on my property, do I have property and liability coverage?"

Do I need two separate policies; one for when I’m renting my place, and one for when I’m not?
No, the Proper Insurance policy is comprehensive; there is full coverage in place whether it's being rented, vacant, and/or being used by the owner or their guests. It is designed for vacation rentals that are either second homes or that double as primary residences. It entirely replaces a landlord or homeowners policy. If you carry the Proper policy, there would be no reason to keep your other insurance in place as you would be "double" insured.