File a damage deposit claim
After a guest checks out, you’ll have 14 days to assess your property and file a damage claim. Most damage deposit claims are processed immediately and the funds are deposited into your account within 3-7 business days. We’ll cover valid claims up to the maximum amount of your damage deposit — even if we can’t collect the money from your guest or your guest’s card is maxed out, expired, or unusable.
Keep your guest informed
Before you file a claim, we encourage you to contact your guest to discuss the details of the damage that occurred, how much you intend to charge, and share your photos or evidence. Having an open discussion with your guests will help them understand the reasons for the claim and reduce chances of a dispute. Always communicate with your guest in writing through our secure messaging platform to maintain a record of your conversation.
File a claim
- Log in to your account.
- Select the listing if you have more than one rental property.
- Select Inbox.
- Select Filters to filter your conversations.
- You can also enter the guest's name or reservation ID (Res ID) into the search bar.
- Select the guest's name.
- Go to the Damage protection section and select Damage protection.
- Select Report damage.
- Enter the Damage amount you want to claim from your guest. The amount can’t exceed your damage deposit amount.
- Enter the Damage description. This message will be sent to your guests.
- Select Confirm.
The host will not be able to withhold more money after the first claim or refund anything back (if they needed to). If the host has enough in a separate payment request, they can process a refund from there. A refundable damage deposit cannot be refunded or withheld in two partial amounts.